There is a reason all BBQ competitions feature thighs in the chicken category. They are the best piece of the chicken. More flavorful and juicy. Watch the video for a super quick "how to" run down but I have included more details below.
Chicken thighs are a good choice to cook for a crowd. Thighs are usually available is large value packs. However, I have found that the premium "organic" products are often worth the money.
What to do:
- Trim the excess skin and excess fat from under the thighs. Season with BBQ Rub. May we suggest award-winning Zest Coast Original or Zest Coast Citrus Rush.
- Grill indirect at 350 to 375. I like to use a method that adds smoke but gas grills provide good results. Total cook will take 30 to 50 minutes.
- Add sauce, optional, or additional rub if desired when chicken reaches 175 degrees or last five minutes of cooking. I like to pull around 180 for a finished temp of 185 (temp will rise around 5 degrees after being pulled from cooker).
- Cap'n Tip: So the whole key to successful grilling is the proper "cook to" temperatures. So you gotta have a quality quick read thermometer. We use the Thermapen® Mk4
- Serve hot but leftovers are good cold.