Excited to use my recently built Ugly Drum Smoker so decided to do cedar plank salmon. The First Mate keeps experimenting with rice in the Instant Pot so here we go.
What you need:
- Salmon fillets
- Zest Coast Seafood Shaker (or your favorite rub)
- Honey (we use Mike's Hot Honey)
- Cedar plank(s) - soak as long as you can
- Alder or other wood chips
- Brown Rice - 1 cup
- One cup water (yes 1:1 ratio for the instant pot)
- Zest Coast Citrus Rush seasoning blend
What to do for the Salmon:
- Pre-soak cedar plank(s)
- Start grill and shoot for around 350 degrees. This best on a charcoal fire with wood chips but works on gas grill or pellet grill as well.
- Lay fillets on cedar planks and season with seasonings and honey.
- Just prior to putting salmon on grill, toss in wood chips.
- Place salmon in covered grill/smoker for 15 to 25 minutes. Do not cook past 145F degrees. I actually pulled these at 125 because they had cooked at a lower temp of around 300F. Use a good "quick read" thermometer like Thermapen.
- What to do for the Rice:
- Place one to two cups rice in Instant Pot
- Add EQUAL amounts of water
- Add some favorite seasonings (we of course use Zest Coast products)
Now here is the part where it gets tricky. No matter what type of Rice you make: white, brown, jasmine, basmati, use equal amounts of water. The difference is the length of time in the Instant Pot. Suggested times are found here on this great blog post at Healthy Green Cooking. For brown rice it was 24 minutes and then natural release. We then stirred in some fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.